Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today

Oh the saga of the bicycles.

Yesterday I got out the bicycle that I hoped would be the solution for me. It's a light blue mountain bike with gears and speeds and whatnot. A gorgeous thing that carried me to Jr High about twice before I realized I couldn't really carry a trumpet and bicycle at the same time.

Mum helped as I wheeled it from the building over to the house. We got out the air pump and wiped the dust off the thing. The tires held and I climbed up on the seat, with the cooshy gel cover and everthing, and....

The thing is TOO DAMN SMALL.



I'm too tall for the bike! My legs are all folded up when I ride and my knees are practically in the handlebars. It's awful. However, the bike just happens to be the perfect size for C. Yay riding buddy!

Not to be easily deterred, I knew there were other bikes in storage. Mum located a different bike, one slightly larger that she had used, and it was....missing a wheel. Honestly.

By now I felt like Goldilocks. Too small. No two wheels. This meant that final bike number three had to be the bike for me!

I wheeled this bike over to the house. It's broken kick-stand meant I had to hold it and watch as Mum filled up the front tire. Whee! And then the back tire.

And the back tire again. And again.

The magical bike has a busted tired. Le sigh!

Well yesterday I rode the small bike anyway. I rode it again today. We're looking at taking the busted wheel and kick-stand bike to a shop we know nearby. I'm hoping they get it fixed for mum.

Me however, I'm in the market for a new bike. I spent quite a bit of time last night and today researching bikes. I've realized I don't need or want a mountain bike like the THREE others currently in our ownership. I'm looking to get a road or a hybrid bike. I want something that will give me speed and be nice for riding around on roads, not dirt and other crazy things. Lols.

I looked at Walmart today and they have a gorgeous red and white Hybrid bike with a rack on the back that looks to be perfect. I even road it around in my heels and skirt I wore to church. (Did I mention one of the ladies hugged me today and goes, "You've gotten shorter haven't you?" Except this was supposed to mean skinnier and I sat there and gave her the most confused look. Lols.) It was good times. And none of the Walmart employees yelled at me. Not that they could have anyway because I was just shopping for bikes!

Agenda for tomorrow!
-Go volunteer at the kid's camp!
-Take bike to bike shop
-Look at bikes at Dick's Sporting Goods
-BUY A NEW BIKE!

Did I mention the small bike is KILLING MY ASS?

Anybody else like to ride bikes? Tell me about it :) In case you haven't noticed this might be a new passion of mine. I'm actually REALLY excited about exercising for the first time in ages. I've never been one to love running but I LOVE riding bikes. Here's hoping that it continues! :D

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, biking with a trumpet isn't so pretty. I did it and wiped out once. The trumpet skidded across the road, came out of the case, and now has actual skid marks. True story.

    Also my knees have permenent scars. But the trumpet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bike every Tuesday and Thursday! It keeps my muscles balanced. It also is quite fun! It isn't nearly as mentally taxing as running.

    Love the pic of the dino on the bike--too funny!

    ReplyDelete